Swindon Writing III
Every Word Counts.
In late 2019, the Swindon Artswords Literature Development Project put out a call for short written works for an anthology titled Swindon Writing.
Writers in Swindon rose to the challenge, and, in 2020, Swindon Writing was published; followed by Swindon Writing II in 2022.
Artswords is now seeking submissions for Swindon Writing III from anyone living in or near Swindon or with a significant connection to the town.
Whether you are a powerful poet, a novice novelist, a promising playwright, a confident composer, or a bashful beginner, we welcome your work.
Any piece of writing or illustration will be considered.
- Each author may submit one or two pieces of no more than 1,000 words in each.
- Submissions should be accompanied by a biography of no more than 50 words.
- Deadline for submissions is 31st December ’23
Matt Holland, [Artswords Literature Development Worker ], said: “Swindon Artswords is dedicated to literature development. The Swindon Writing series aims to encourage this. We are looking for interesting, insightful, entertaining, and thought-provoking submissions. We know that there are many talented and dedicated writers in Swindon, and Artswords wants to help them develop and showcase their work.”
Katie Sullivan, Co-Editor of the Swindon Writing series said: “Writers should not be put off submitting their work if they are inexperienced or lack confidence. There is a wealth of support available for budding writers in Swindon. Artswords provides writing groups and a mentoring service and there are also plenty of websites that provide spelling and grammatical support.”
Guidelines for submission
- The editors are looking for interesting, insightful, entertaining, and thought-provoking work.
- Any genre will be considered – including poetry, prose fiction or prose fact in the shape of short story, play, essay, memoir, or dialogue, and cartoons too – from anyone living in or near Swindon or with a significant connection to the town.
- Swindon Writing III will include an ‘About the Authors’ section. So, along with your submission, please send us a brief introduction to yourself, in 50 words or fewer.
- All work must be by the author. Plagiarized, copied content, or AI generated material will not be accepted.
- Illustrations are welcomed.
- There is no age limit but submissions from under 18s must be accompanied by permission from the parent or guardian for the work and the author’s name to be published.
- There is no fee for submission or publication.
- Submission is no guarantee of inclusion in Swindon Writing III. That decision rests with the editors.
- Copyright remains with the author. Swindon Artswords reserves the right to use any successful submission in Swindon Writing III and any publicity material relating to it, but the author may also publish the work themselves or submit it elsewhere.
- All submissions should be sent as Microsoft Word Documents. Any pictures/cartoons must be submitted as PDF document. If you have any difficulty with either of these methods of sending, please let us know.
- The submission deadline is 31 December 2023.
- Please send your finished pieces by or before then to firstname.lastname@example.org
Profits from the sale of Swindon Writing III will be used to fund the activities of Artswords in Swindon.